Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Biscuits and curry

I pulled out soba noodles. Those are Japanese buckwheat noodles. Nope. Those won't be the right taste. It's raining outside, and my view through the sopping wet window is the boring Leyland cyprus hedge, planted fifteen years ago as two-foot seedlings by a former neighbor who hated us for cutting down 4 trees to build our house. We live in a forest...

Two years ago, the current neighbor trimmed it to fifteen feet to give us a bit of light on the south side of our house. Thanks! (Away it grows again! Scott's revenge continues, though he moved away ten years ago. Sigh.)


I'm hungry for something lighter. Maybe spaghetti? Nope. I even think about popcorn. That's the sort of light grain I'm craving. Ah well, open the cupboard to pull out TJ's Multigrain Baking Mix. Not hungry for pancakes. Coffee cake has too much sugar. Oh wait! A biscuit recipe on the side label as well...

Turn the oven to 425o as I think about it...

I toss in about 2/3 c. of the TJ powder, mix in a few tbsp. dried currents. Sugar? Not this time. Stir in a bit of water and a tsp. of oil. It's a bit wet: I lightly grease one side of a cookie sheet and spread the dough about 3/4" thick. Pop it in the oven to bake.

In the pantry, there's a box of Golden Curry mix with only one cube left over from a trip to Ranch 99 Market. I put the cube and some water to boil on the stove, then turn down the heat. The can that was sitting next to the curry looks like bamboo mushrooms. Yum. Sure. Good with curry, I think.

I open the can and drain it. Oops: it's some kind of vegetarian chop suey, a mix of mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and gluten "meat" in sauce. "Goodbye sauce!" as it drains from the sink. Toss in a Field Roast Vausage? Sure. The curry mixture bubbles while I choose a plain white bowl.


Ting! There's the timer. It's been 10 minutes... so take out the biscuits. I pop them in the bowl. By now the curry is thickening and reducing. Scoop out a few spoonfuls of gravy and "other stuff" and put over the biscuits, taking it to my office for lunch.

Rating: 4/5 Surprisingly hearty and tasty. Delicious, actually!
Flavor: salty and savory. The crumbly biscuit with its pop of currents goes very well with the salty, med. hot curry. Hits the spot as rain pelts down my office window.
Calories: 450: from 300 biscuits; 150 gravy and veat/mushrooms (per serving. 2 servings of curry. Maybe over noodles next time.)
Tea: Mango Black (TJ's tea bag). C'mon. I was in a hurry.
Time: 13 min including time to heat the oven.


No comments:

Post a Comment