Saturday, January 14, 2012

1 beet and 1/2 bag of brussed sprouts = ?

My mom steams a beet, cuts it in half, and tosses it into a bowl. She finds a half bag of Brussel sprouts. "We have to eat these." And, "What should we make for lunch?"

Mom's here to take care of our daughter while my husband was on a business trip. He's back, but in the meantime, she's had more food adventures here than in a long while.

I look in the cupboard. We have no cashews, but we have dried, flaked, unsweetened coconut. (Vitamix with water for coconut milk.)

Open the fridge. Peanut butter. I like where this is going. I ladle a heaping tablespoon full, into the blender. I add a 1/2 tsp. minced garlic.

Steamed veges. Meanwhile Mom's boiling carrots. OK.

She laments the cabbage smell: "I should have put in a half lemon with the Brussel sprouts. That takes away the smell during cooking."

"Sure, get me a lemon," I say. Mom cuts a lemon in half. I scoop the juicy flesh into the blender. Add a half teaspoon of Trader Joe 21 seasoning, Jamaican curry spice, and smoked paprika.

We need to make two batches by now. Puree all. A beautiful crimson red-orange (green disappears) starts to emerge from the blades of the Vitamix upward. You never get this colour from a tin! It needs 1/2 c. water. Then it blends beautifully!

"It looks beautiful in every bowl!" our daughter exclaims. She's right. I snag her Iphone camera for a shot. The color is too bright to believe, if you're not at the table.

It needs salt, but with heavy rye bread, toasted, and smoked farmer sausage, it is yummy!


Rating: 4/5
Flavor: savory, peanut-buttery, creamy, hearty
Calories: 450 with 1/2 slice toasted bread. (Sausage extra.)
Time to prepare: 10 minutes
Tea: none - no time. I have to get back to my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment