Tuesday, November 19, 2013

African-style curry

What do you get when you mix leftovers with curry and coconut milk? An African-style curry.

I had a 5" piece of smoked farmer sausage and leftover cooked chicken, plus some rice, frozen after Sunday dinner. What a great start! No time as usual, so I headed for the pantry. I grabbed 3 cans that sounded good:

  • Coconut milk
  • Sliced mushrooms
  • Mandarin oranges
I browned 2 tbsp. curry in 1/3 can of coconut milk. Added another 1/3 can along with 1 tbsp. minced onion and 1 tbsp. minced garlic, the drained mushrooms and orange pieces. It cooked until it was reduced to almost-dry. Then I added the rest of the coconut milk, the chicken, and sausage, cut into pieces.

Stirred. It stewed for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I microwaved the rice with a bit of water until steamy hot. We used a salad packet (cranberries, coleslaw, kale, and pine nuts) for a nice change in texture.


Optional: add orange marmalade and soy sauce to adjust sweet and salty tastes. (The sausage was salty so I didn't add salt.)

Servings: 4
Taste: 4/5 Sweet, creamy, bit salty. Texture could be improved with crisp, salted peanuts and banana slices.
Time to prepare: 5 minutes assembly. 15 minutes cooking.
Beauty: Looked inviting. Went well with the green salad.
Tea: Peppermint - it was getting late.

No comments:

Post a Comment